SOMALILAND NATIONAL EDUCATION GOALS
To promote within society, the acquisition and application of relevant knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to fulfil its potential for development in a continuously changing world:
- Concern for proper management and utilization of the physical environment.
- A sense of responsibility for peace and improved relations at the individual, family, community, national and international levels.
- The growth of civic consciousness in an informed and socialized citizenry committed to mutual understanding, a culture of peace, and collaboration an acceptance of diversity, and toward resolving differences without violence.
- Values of loyalty, self-reliance, tolerance, co-operation, diligence, openness, inquiry, critical thought, honesty, justice, fairness and peace.
- Awareness of the need for and the active promotion of social justice, in the context of Islam.
The National goals for the education sector are further detailed for the education sector as follows:
- To build the foundation for learners to be committed to the preservation and enrichment of their culture, and Islamic values.
- To provide learners with appropriate knowledge, insights, skills and values as well as empowering them to realize their potential that will able them to make worthwhile contributions to society.
- To provide children with the listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in Somali, Arabic, and English.
- To provide a sound foundation of arithmetic and the application of mathematics to practical problems.
- To build the foundation for learners in the three areas of science while developing for them the practical application skills.
- To lay the foundation for basic information technology, and the awareness of the role of technology in national development
- To support learners, acquire practical skills and manual dexterity through productive activities integrated into the actual curriculum.
- Provide learners the opportunity to develop their individual talents and ability to acquire critical thinking, self-expression, self-reliance, and logical judgment
- To provide students the opportunities to appreciate learning and develop desire to continue learning
- To prepare students for tertiary and higher education, technical and vocational trainings.
- To provide young people with the basic skills which help them to contribute various communities in Somaliland in areas of animal husbandry, fishing, agriculture, budgeting, family welfare, community development, care for the environment, community health and physical fitness.,
- To raise awareness among pupils about issues including reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, and STDs.